No matter how broke we were, Friday was always “dining out” night when I was a kid. Somehow, my parents were able to pull this off every week. We’d order a pizza, go to McDonalds, or to an affordable family restaurant. I would always get the cheeseburger and fries off of the children’s menu.
It was our splurge for the week. As much as we enjoyed my mom’s cooking, dinner out was a special occasion. (Not to mention a well deserved break for our mom.)
It’s not that difficult to find a decent restaurant to visit at least once or twice a month to give you that feeling of treating yourself. We all deserve that, no matter what our bank account looks like.
Here are a few tips…
- Ask around. Most people love to share where they go for an affordable tasty dinner.
- Check out the appetizer menu. Despite what anyone says, onion rings can be an entire meal.
- Find a place that doesn’t upcharge you for salad, soup, bread and side dishes.
- Ask for water to save extra money.
- If you’re old enough, order something from the senior menu. Sadly, I have a few more years before I can do this. Boo.
- Tip nicely and be amazed when your regular waitress doesn’t charge you for coffee and throws in an extra roll. (This actually happened.)
And remember, always use a napkin and excuse yourself when you belch.
Do you have any tips on dining out on a budget? Let us know in the comments!